GoPro Hero5 Black Action Camera
With 4K video resolution, 12MP photo and waterproofing to 10m without any housing, the GoPro Hero5 Black is a force to be reckoned within the camera world. GoPro has completely redesigned its top-level camera for 2017, inputting every feature you could possibly need, but they have also taken a new approach for the user interface, making it simpler, ensuring whether you’re a novice or a professional videographer, anyone can use this system with ease.
Making the Hero5 Black the most advanced, yet simple to use system ever required some serious rethinking. Everything from connecting the camera to your GoPro app to using its new, 1 button control has been redesigned and you can now turn the camera on, connect to your phone, take a photo/video and upload it to social media in under 60 seconds.
When you’re done recording, the touch LCD screen on the rear of the camera allows for quick changes of the image/video quality, FPS (frames per second), connectivity and even edit the footage thanks to the in-system editing suite.
GoPro understand that capturing footage when out on the bike can be difficult, and sometimes it can even be downright impossible to start recording when mid-exercise. For this, they’ve developed their incredible and completely intuitive voice control technology. It reacts to three commands; GoPro, take a photo. GoPro, take a video and even GoPro take a burst. Trust us, it works, and it makes capturing those once in a lifetime moments even easier.
Image and video quality
It wouldn’t be a GoPro without the unparalleled quality of footage though, would it? Everything from 4K Superview at 24fps for super clear, high-definition shots through to 720P at 240fps for wide angle, super slow-motion videos is provided with the Hero5 Black. Capturing the sunset as you finish your climb in the Dolomites or even your training ride are now easier than ever.
12MP photographs are also possible with the Hero5 Black, and with a burst rate (fps) of 30 per second, down to 3 per second, and even time lapse intervals of 1/2 second to 60 seconds, you’ll get everything you could ever hope for with this camera.
Three microphones embedded within the camera combine to compile the clearest track possible, and thanks to its completely waterproof body, which doesn’t need any housing to withstand the rigours and bumps of the real world, audio is crystal clear and you don’t get any of the creaking once found in the old housing. In comparison, the audio range has been increased by 10DB compared to the Hero3+ Black edition.
If you’re a professional videographer or just want greater sound quality, then the GoPro can actually provide this. The Hero5 Black has studio quality external microphone support and supports 3.5mm stereo microphones via an optional adapter (sold separately)
Image stabilisation is another thing GoPro has set its sights on with the Hero5 range. No longer will vibrations or bumps affect the quality of your footage, as GoPro has spent considerable time developing how smooth and plush the video is.
Connecting your GoPro to your camera was once a torrid affair, and sometimes it wouldn’t even connect, leaving you stranded with your footage unless you had a micro-SD card slot in your computer. With the Hero5 Black, connecting to your app couldn’t be simpler. Simply turn on your iPhone/Android GoPro app, search for a camera, select the desired destination and connect.
Mounts and accessories
Thanks to GoPro doing away with the chunky waterproof housing and moving straight towards a fully waterproof body, the field of view provided is more lifelike than ever. The mounts clip directly onto the body, streamlining not just how fast you can get out and get filming, but actually enhancing the quality of your footage, too. You can even use your old GoPro mounts, so there’s no need to upgrade either.
A 1220mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery keeps the GoPro running for longer, ensuring you’re not stranded without any charge. This battery lasts longer than previous systems, and the USB-C recharging port actually charges the battery 10 times faster than the Hero3, and 5 times faster than the Hero4, making it the most functional and readily usable GoPro ever made.
Please note: GoPro’s require a microSD card with at least a Class 10 or UHS-I rating. These memory cards are sold separately.
1 x GoPro Hero5 Black
1 x GoPro Hero5 Black mount casing
1 x USB-C Charger cable
2 x stick-back mounts for attaching to helmets
- Take stunning, high-definition 4K videos and photographs at the touch of a button
- Voice activated, so no need to press a button or take off your gloves mid-ride
- 2-inch Touch LCD screen on the rear allows for quick video resolution and image changes
- Completely waterproof without any housing, ensuring you can use it in the rain and even underwater to 10m
- Strong, sturdy and robust to ensure if you drop it, it’ll keep working
- Three microphones embedded into the body make for crystal clear sound quality
- Image stabilisation solves any camera shudder or vibrations when attached to the handlebars
- Easy to connect to GoPro apps thanks to their streamlined connectivity process
- 1220mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery for longer lasting battery
- Charges 10 times faster than the Hero3 and 5 times faster than the Hero4
- 4K video resolution: 30 or 25 fps, 24 fps SuperView, wide FOV
- 2.7K video resolution: 60, 50, 48, 24 fps wide. 30, 25 fps SuperView, wide, medium and linear FOV
- 2.7K 4:3 video resolution: 30, 25fps
- 1440p video resolution: 80, 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24 fps wide FOV
- 1080p video resolution: 120 fps wide, narrow FOV. 90 fps wide FOV. 80fps SuperView FOV. 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24 fps SuperView, wide, medium, linear, narrow FOV
- 1080p Superview
- 960p video resolution: 120, 60, 50 fps wide FOV
- 720P video resolution: 240 fps narrow FOV. 120, 60, 50 fps SuperView, wide, narrow FOV. 100 fps SuperView FOV. 30, 25 fps wide medium, narrow FOV
- 720P Superview
- WVGA video resolution: 240 fps wide FOV
- 12MP photographs
- Burst rates: 30/1, 30/2, 30/3, 30/6, 10/1, 10/2, 10/3, 5/1, 3/1
- Time lapse intervals: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals