Zipp 858 NSW Disc Wheelset
For the ultimate in speed on the road, look no further than Zipp’s 858 NSW Disc Wheelset. The Total System Efficiency concept behind the wheels’ design aims to balance what Zipp terms ‘the four barriers to speed’, namely Wind Resistance, Gravity, Rolling Resistance, and Vibration Losses.
The innovative sawtooth rim design undulates between 82mm and 85mm deep, for the best compromise between low drab and stability with the HexFin ABLC Dimples further improving the aerodynamics by controlling the vortex shedding. As part of this concept, the ImPress graphics are printed directly onto the wheel so as not to interfere with the dimples. The wide rims are hookless tubeless-ready and optimised for use with 28mm tyres to lower rolling resistance and reduce vibrations, but they can be used with an inner tube if required so long as the tyre is hookless.
At just over 1,500 grams in their lightest guise, the 858s are impressively light for a very deep wheelset, offering not just decent climbing ability but also nimble handling, negating a couple of the main barriers to using deep wheels outside of time trials and triathlons.
The rear Cognition V2 hub features a magnetic Axial Clutch in the freehub, that disengages completely when there is no pedalling input, markedly reducing drag whilst coasting and with 54 points of engagement, pickup is rapid when acceleration is required. The wheels are laced together with Sapim’s high-performance Sapim CX-Sprint spokes, for a fittingly premium finish to this very fast wheelset.
- Zipp’s most advanced and fastest deep-rim wheel for road, triathlon, and time trial
- More than 243 grams lighter than the previous model
- Optimised tyre bed for easy tyre installation
- TSE for greater efficiency and reduced rolling resistance
- Sawtooth rim and HexFin ABLC dimple pattern for top aero and crosswind-stability performance with an undulating rim depth
- Cognition V2 hubset rolls efficiently whether pedalling or coasting. Its Axial Clutch V2 technology reduces drag and lowers friction
- Ships with 12mm front and rear end caps
- Center locking rotor interface. Lockring is included with the wheels
- XDR or SRAM/Shimano™ driver bodies
- Campagnolo® N3W Driver body sold separately
- Zipp graphics applied using Zipp’s ImPress direct-print technology
- Minimum 25mm tyre width
- 28mm tyre is the optimum width for all riders
- Hookless tubeless-ready
- Sawtooth rim and HexFin ABLC dimple pattern, TSE technology
- Wheel Size: 700c
- Rim: Carbon
- Rim Depth: 82-85mm
- Internal Rim Width: 23mm
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Sprint J-bend
- Spoke Count: 20 front / 20 rear
- Hubs: Cognition V2 with Axial Clutch, 54 points of engagement
- Disc Standard: Center Lock
- Front Axle: Thru-axle 12x100mm
- Rear Axle: Thru-axle 12x142mm
- Recommended Tyre Size: 28mm
- Manufacturer Claimed Weight: Front - 719 grams, rear - 811 grams, wheelset -1530 grams
- Compatibility: Shimano, SRAM, SRAM XDR