There’s a popular saying in the road cycling community: the best number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number you already have. So whether you’re looking to make your first road bike purchase or you want to add another to an already impressive collection, this guide is for you.
Here, we’ve collated the very best in road bikes for 2023. You’ll find offerings from names like Trek, Cannondale, Bianchi, BMC and Cervelo: each representing a striking cross-section between cutting-edge technology and precision engineering, and each offering a truly sensational ride for the respective price point.
In this list you’ll find a top-level introduction to each bike along with a rundown of the key design features you need to know about. Each is linked to the bike’s dedicated page, too: perfect if you want to dig deeper into the full technical specifications and buying information.
You can also view our full range of road bikes here.
The best road bikes for 2023
Cannondale CAAD13 105 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £2,300
Opening our list of the best road bikes for 2023 is the Cannondale CAAD13 105: a machine that sets the tone nicely for what’s to come. This bike delivers exactly what we’d expect from Cannondale: a versatile, reliable and enjoyable ride that features a lightweight aluminium frame, aero-optimised tube design, and a Shimano 105 groupset to get you moving.
- The pinnacle of Cannondale's aluminium range, with a frame that lends itself just as well to commuting as it does to endurance rides or racing
- SAVE technology reduces the impacts of bumps and other road surfaces, meaning less vibration and a more comfortable ride
- Aero-optimised tube design reduces drag and improves speed, letting you push that little bit harder
- Equipped with DT Swiss 470 / Formula wheelset and Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres. The frame has clearance for 30mm tyres affording the option to switch up for something wider
- Shimano 105 11-speed mechanical groupset for efficient gear shifting
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 RL Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price from - £3,180
Cannondale have a reputation for efficient, performance-engineered bikes, and the Synapse is known as their most versatile and comfortable road all-rounder. If you’re keen to strengthen your collection of road bikes, the 2023 Synapse - with its Proportional Response construction, SmartSense traffic detection system, and Shimano Ultegra components – is a fine candidate.
- An all-new frame features Proportional Response construction and a truncated tubeset to refine comfort and improve handling
- The Synapse's unique SmartSense system - built in collaboration with Garmin - can sense traffic up to 140m away, and uses automatic front and back lights to improve visibility
- Shimano Ultegra groupset gives crisp and reliable 11-speed shifting
- Hydraulic Shimano disc brakes stay responsive in all weathers, letting you ride with confidence
Cannondale SuperSix EVO Ultegra Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £4,000
For a rider looking for an all-rounder road bike, look no further. The Cannondale SuperSix EVO Ultegra Disc is built to perform in all settings thanks to a BallisTec carbon frameset boasting race geometry and quality components from Shimano and Cannondale's very own HollowGram range: whether you’re riding mountain passes or high-speed road sections this bike stands ready to deliver.
- Cannondale have leveraged their race geometry on this BallisTec carbon frameset, giving you a nifty balance between comfort and performance
- Aerodynamic optimisations on the frame design reduce drag by 20-30% without adding any weight
- Internal cable routing keeps things looking slick and offers even more aerodynamic refinement
- Shimano Ultegra 11-speed gears deliver smooth and fully responsive gear shifting
- HollowGram 35 wheelset is stiff and strong for a confident ride on any road
Trek Emonda SL 6 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price from - £4,150
Trek are renowned for building bikes that perform at the highest level, and the Emonda SL 6 is a fine example. This model brings new features to a range already known for its low weight and high performance: aerodynamic tweaks for lower drag, lightweight OCLV carbon wheels, and tubeless-ready capability keep the weight impressively low, and an electronic Shimano 105 Di2 groupset brings enviable performance improvements.
- 8.25kg manufacturer’s claimed weight (size 56cm frame)
- Refinements to this popular Trek range include aero tube shapes to cut drag compared to the previous version, putting more speed potential at your disposal
- The H1.5 Race frame fit gives just as much comfort and control on long rides as it does short ones
- Lightweight Bontrager Paradigm Comp 25 wheels offer versatility and efficiency, whether you decide to ride with tubed or tubeless tyres
- Effortless gear shifting thanks to a Shimano 105 Di2 electronic groupset, also ready for pairing with smartphones and GPS units to tap into detailed ride metrics
Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Di2 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £4,200
If you want a bike that can just as readily handle a high-speed competitive ride as a gentle country jaunt, then take a look at the Trek Emonde SL 6 Pro. This model exemplifies the company’s long-standing reputation of building slick bikes that represent great value for money: here you’ll find a svelte bike kept under 9kg by an OCLV carbon frame, with quality of life improvements like internal frame storage to make your ride as enjoyable as possible.
- 8.9kg manufacturer’s claimed weight (size 56cm)
- Trek's 500 Series OCLV Carbon is used for the construction of this frame. It has been chosen to balance weight, stiffness and strength
- IsoSpeed technology complements the frame design to give a smoother ride, however rough the road
- Clearance for tyres up to 38mm wide gives you the freedom to switch up to something that can handle more testing road surfaces too, opening up the places where this bike can perform
- Internal frame storage provide a neat solution for keeping tools and snacks close at hand while you’re out and about
- Shimano groupset and disc brakes prioritise performance
Trek Domane SL 6 Disc Road Bike Gen 4 2023
Retail price - £4,400
For a cyclist who wants to hone their technique, a bike that can meet and exceed your evolving demands is crucial. The Trek Domane SL 6 Disc Road Bike is engineered to achieve this exact outcome: hand-picked components and aerodynamic frame design are brought to life by technological integrations that collect and analyse your ride data to open up actionable opportunities for improvement.
- 8.9kg manufacturer’s claimed weight
- Built to bridge the gap between aerodynamics and comfort and to allow you to get the most out of your performance
- The frame is constructed from Trek's 500 Series OCLV Carbon and incorporates IsoSpeed technology to provide strength and durability while reducing feedback from uneven road surfaces
- A 12-speed Shimano 105 Di2 electronic groupset for fully responsive shifting
- Unlock your ride data and personalise certain functions with Shimano's E-Tube app
Bianchi Oltre 105 Di2 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £4,749
Bianchi combines cutting-edge design with true comfort to create road bikes that are as pleasurable to ride as they are formidable contenders on race day. The Oltre 105 Di2 delivers on both these points: this bike will keep pace with whatever you throw at it thanks to a lightweight carbon frame, responsive Shimano 105 brakes, and precision gear shifting.
- A carbon frame with dropped and flattened seatstays and a distinctive wraparound seat tube make this bike lightweight and eye-catching
- Air Deflector headtube fairings combine with the sculpted tube to create low-pressure behind the bike, dropping wind resistance: Bianchi claim this gives a 45 second improvement over the Oltre XR4 over 40km
- A tough aluminium frame and a SR Suntour fork with 120mm travel combine to provide confidence in off road sections
- 9-speed Shimano Alivio M3100-mix drivetrain is built for the trail, giving you the gearing you need to tackle climbs with or without electric assist
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 12-speed electronic groupset for the precision gear shifting
- Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes for feather-light stopping responsiveness
BMC Roadmachine ONE Disc Road Bike
Retail price - £5,899
Some bikes are built to make a statement, and the BMC Roadmachine ONE is a prime candidate. The blazing orange colour of the frame will get you noticed for all the right reasons, whether you're in the peloton or peeling off from the pack. This is a bike that walks the walk as well as talking the talk as well – you'll find a streamlined all-carbon frame, aerodynamic tweaks like internal routing, and technological hookups to unlock your ride data.
- BMC's Tuned Compliance Concept Endurance carbon layup merges comfort and performance, keeping you at your best from the start of the ride to the finish
- Internal cable routing keeps your gear and brake cables out of harm's way while improving airflow around the bike
- Super fasr electronic shifting with the 11-34t cassette and 50/34t chainset gives an incredibly responsive ride
- Hook your bike up to a compatible GPS devices or smartphones with the bike's Bluetooth connection to customise your ride data
- Shimano Ultegra 8170 hydraulic disc brakes with Servo Wave technology for increased power and less drag
Bianchi Oltre Pro Ultegra Di2 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £6,999
- Bianchi Oltre Pro carbon frame and fork with CV System and Air Deflector to reduce wind and improve aerodynamic response
- Part-wireless Shimano Ultegra Di2 12-speed electronic groupset for near-immediate shifting response and bluetooth integration with GPS devices
- Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes give modulated stopping power when required
- Bianchi’s Countervail carbon technology ensures comfort when riding over bumps or other poor road surfaces
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2 Disc Road Bike 2023
Retail price - £9,199
It’s immediately clear that the Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2 is built to perform. Just look at the precision geometry and the aquiline frame, and you can practically hear it slicing through the air. This bike really is designed for the rider who wants to squeeze every ounce of performance from their steed, whether that means clocking a gold time in a sportive or smashing Strava segments.
- The All-Carbon frame sports TrueAero tube profiles for a distinctive look that is built to imbue performance potential
- Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes and a Shimano Ultegra Di2 12-speed electronic drivetrain ensure this bike responds to your every command
- Reserve 63 tubeless-ready carbon wheels sport Zipp ZR1 ST hubs deliver speed and control
Trek Madone SLR 7 Gen 7 Disc Road Bike
Retail price - £10,200
The Trek Madone SLR 7 is a perfect example of this: a show-stopping piece of engineering that stands ready and able to revolutionise your understanding of what a bike can do. Trek's top of the range 800 Series OCLV Carbon has been chosen for its lightweight and stiff characteristics.
- 7.48kg manufacturer’s claimed weight
- 800 Series OCLV carbon forms the distinctive Kamm tail tubeset, whose unique IsoFlow design technology delivers unrivalled aerodynamics without sacrificing a modicum of comfort
- Ergonomic handlebar and cockpit design keep comfort a key consideration for even the longest ride
- The 2x 12-speed Shimano Ultegra Di2 electronic drivetrain complements the radical frame engineering with precision shifting, guaranteeing a bike that responds to your every command
- A tubeless-ready wheelset - Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 OCLV Carbon, to be precise - puts speed front and centre
Whether this will be your first road bike purchase, looking to replace your current steed or you are on the hunt for one more bike for an ever-increasing lineup, make sure you choose from the best.
Each of the bikes here represents the pinnacle of bike engineering at that price point, and each was hand-picked by our team of experts. If you’ve got questions about these bikes or need help finding the best road bike for your specific needs, get in touch. We’ll be happy to help you find the perfect ride.