Hövding 3 Airbag Helmet
Offering up to eight times more protection than that of a traditional cycling helmet in the event of an accident, the Hövding 3 isn't actually a helmet at all, but an airbag, worn as a collar around the neck, inflating into a protective hood when impact occurs. Using both reenactment and crash test dummies, the testing of this product was extensive during the research and development phase, in order to fully understand and collect data on cyclist movement, both on the bike and during an accident. The result is the incorporation of some impressive technology.
The airbag is activated via the front tab, and sensors in the collar record movement 200 times a second. Using the algorithm created from 1000s of data points, the system can clearly identify, and differentiate between, normal and abnormal movement. Once the latter is detected, the airbag deploys in just 0.1 seconds. It secures the neck and, when inflated, covers almost the entire head, leaving your vision unobstructed, using helium for gentle but effective shock absorption, lasting a few seconds in case of secondary impacts. The polyamide material is waterproof and resistant to tears, ensuring top durability.
At the rear of the airbag, a casing secures and protects the electronic card, speaker, battery and inflator, and the battery lasts for 15 hours of riding time between charges, with the ability to check the level on the collar itself using the function button. Two capacitors - responsible for the deployment of the airbag - ensure that in the rare event of failure, the airbag will never let you down. On the flip side, each is discharged when the Hövding is deactivated or switched off so it won't inflate when not in use.
The Hövding 3 has a one size fit, tested for use on those over 15 years of age and on a range of head and neck circumferences. A Boa dial makes for easy adjustment to ensure a snug and comfortable fit. Bluetooth 5 technology means you can pair the Hövding 3 with a smartphone and use the mobile app to update firmware, check the battery and activate the ICE function.
- Hövding is tested and approved for people over the age of 15 with a head circumference of 52-59cm (20.5-23.2") and a neck circumference of 32-45cm (12.6-17.7")
- For optimum comfort, it is recommended that the neck circumference should be at least 34cm
- Ergonomically designed with even weight distribution across the shoulders. It is slightly heavier at the back so when cycling, weight is resting on your back
- Up to eight times better protection than a traditional helmet
- Help secure the neck in the event of an accident
- Sound and light signals indicate when Hövding is activated/deactivated and needs to be charged etc
- Activation is simple using the front tab
- When activated, Hövding records the cyclist’s movements 200 times a second
- Hövding’s accident detection system consists of an algorithm based on artificial intelligence technology, and in the event of an accident, the cyclist’s abnormal movement is detected, and the airbag inflates in less than 0.1 second
- One size, adjusted via a Boa dial
- A front zipper makes Hövding easy to take on and off
- The electronic card, speaker, battery and inflator are kept in place by the rear casing that protects the items inside from getting damaged during normal usage
- Hövding 3 can be connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth for access to additional features
- Up to 15 hours of active cycling per charge
- Manufacturer claimed weight: 800 grams
- Includes: USB-C cable for charging / black basic cover / quick start guide and technical manual