Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Tubeless Clincher Wheelset
The Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Tubeless Clincher Wheelset partners the brand's exhaustive aerodynamic know-how with state of the art carbon materials to elicit a versatile performance across any topography. When dancing up sharp inclines, sprinting for the line or putting out a solo effort in any distance of triathlon the 404 Firecrest infuses enthusiasm and vigour into any rider.
The finest carbon materials and resins are blended within the structure of the rims to provide an optimum ratio of lateral stiffness, strength and low weight. This sophisticated carbon composition is formed into a 58mm deep rim profile that has been gleaned from hours of meticulous testing to realise markedly lower drag numbers and increased crosswind stability. The ABLC dimple pattern complements this by encouraging the air particles to flow cleanly and crisply across the rim's surface, thus further reducing drag across the full sweep of yaw angles.
A wide internal rim width coerces the tyre into a superior cross-sectional silhouette and this, in turn, leads to lower rolling resistance, increased comfort and enhanced cornering grip. This internal format combines perfectly with the advanced traits of tubeless-ready tyres but is also compatible with standard clinchers should preference, or riding style dictate their use.
Confidence-inspiring braking performance, even in the wet, is bestowed by the Showstopper brake track and its friction enhancing scalloped surface. Meanwhile, the German-engineered ZR1 hubs add smooth bearings and a sharp reacting, 66 point engagement freehub into the build.
Everything is comprehensively brought together via the use of the esteemed Sapim CX-Ray spokes and evenly tensioned lacing patterns to award optimal amounts of reliability and robustness.
- QR end caps
- Quick release skewers
- A wheelset that combines aerodynamics, low rolling resistance, lateral stiffness, strength and comfort to excel over rolling climbs, across wind-swept plains, when sprinting for the line and in valiant solo efforts
- The full carbon rims are realised from the finest materials to promote a high stiffness to weight ratio
- 58mm deep, AeroBalance derived rim profiles are honed via CFD computer simulations, wind tunnel testing and pro rider feedback to simultaneously lower drag and improves crosswind stability
- ABLC dimples smooth the airflow across the rim surfaces to further lower drag
- Tubeless-ready or standard clincher compatibility opens up use to huge range of tyre set ups
- Showstopper brake track gives powerful and consistent braking, even in the wet
- ZR1 hubs are German engineered, have super smooth bearings with durable seals and a 66 point freehub engagement for enhanced pedalling response
- Sapim CX-Ray spokes and neat lacing patterns provide even tensions and a durable build
- Tyre compatibility: Tubeless-ready clincher or standard clincher
- Wheel size: 700c
- Rim: Full carbon with ABLC rim surface dimples
- Rim profile: Symmetrical
- Rim finish: UD fibre, adhesive decals
- Rim depth: 58mm
- Internal rim width: 19mm
- Rim internal format: Hooked
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
- Spoke lacing pattern: Front: Radial / Rear: 2-cross
- Spoke count: Front: 18 / Rear: 24
- Hubs: Front: ZR1 / Rear: ZR1 with 66 tooth engagement freehub
- Bearings: Cartridge - stainless steel
- Freehub compatibility: SRAM XDR or Shimano HG/SRAM Road 11-speed
- Brake compatibility: Rim
- Recommended tyre size: 23mm and above
- Maximum tyre pressure: 125psi
- Maximum recommended rider weight: 113kg/250lbs
- Manufacturer claimed weight: Front: 734 grams / Rear: 887 grams / Wheelset: 1621 grams (based on an XDR configuration with no rim tape or valves included)
- Warranty: Lifetime