Cannondale Slate Ultegra Adventure Road Bike 2018
If you are looking to reinvigorate your riding, no matter your current discipline, the Cannondale Slate Ultegra Adventure Road Bike 2018 has something to offer everyone, especially if you want to finish a ride smiling! The Slate offers roadies more thrills, mountain bikers an easier transition into the road bike world and cyclocross riders a more robust and adventure ready machine.
Let's cut straight to the chase, the thing that really stands out here is the Lefty Oliver Carbon suspension fork that contains 30 mm of travel. As with all Cannondale products, the design of this suspension fork is incredibly well thought through. Heavily tuned low-speed compression dampening combined with the Coil over Gas (COG) negative spring to keep bouncing around to a minimum. When you transition back to the road from your off road fun, you can use the PBR lockout to completely firm the ride up for better efficiency. Rebound is even adjustable whilst riding to give you complete control to manage the variety of terrain you will encounter with the new sense of freedom coming from this bike.
Once you get over the suspension, you might notice the 650b wheels. Smaller than the usual 700c of road wheels. This allows them to run a 42c tyre to provide superb comfort, float and grip whilst maintaining the nimble handling and fit of standard road wheels. See the image above to further explain this.
To make sure that this Cannondale slate is prepared for everything, you can even fit a dropper post thanks to the 27.2 mm post diameter and the internal dropper routing. This allows you in-ride control over your seatpost hight to allow you to drop it for more room over rougher terrain, and then restore it to normal for maximum efficiency on the road.
The Slate has not ignored the basics though. Suspension is also incorporated into the frame in a more traditional road manner through the Save Plus micro-suspension system by shaping the seat and chain stays to give comfort increasing vertical compliance paired with later rigidity for performance.
Cannondale has opted for the thru-axle wheel attachment system. This makes perfect sense for a bike designed to handle the rough stuff as it adds stiffness and security over the quick release mechanism.
This bike also makes use of Cannondale's braze on disc caliper mounts. This tidy mounting system saves weight whilst also being supremely strong. It will allow you to make full use of the new flat mount brakes.
The Slate benefits hugely in terms of geometry, as it is not having to fit around large wheels, thus allowing optimisation for fun! Short chainstays make for an agile ride, but the longer front-centre combined with a slacker head angle gives you all the stability you need to conquer more exciting terrains.
- Outstanding SmartFormed 6069 Alloy frame with tube shapes for vertical compliance to give comfort with lateral rigidity for performance in a highly durable material
- Save Stays give you optimised chain and seat stay shapes for comfortable vertical compliance as well as responsive lateral rigidity
- Cannondale Lefty Oliver Carbon suspension fork gives 30 mm of travel with in-ride control of the lockout and rebound
- 650b wheels with 42c tyres gives the overall size of 700c wheels, but with the added comfort, control and grip of the higher volume tyre
- Dropper seat post compatible for future improvements
- BB30a bottom bracket
- Shimano's excellent Ultegra 6800 eleven speed components that save weight, whilst adding precision and reliability to your gear shifting
- Hydraulic disc brakes from Shimano provide confidence inspiring all weather performance, modulation and reliability in the lightest package
- Cannondale handlebar, stem and seatpost, are strong, stiff and lightweight
- Fabric Scoop Radius Race Ti saddle is fantastic for comfort, looks and weight saving
- Cannondale Slate Folding TRS tubeless 650x42c by Panaracer thirty five millimetres give great off road grip without slowing you down on the tarmac
- 52/36 OPI SpideRing front rings make this bike very comfortable on the road, with the choice available when you venture onto less stable terrain
Please note: Image shown for representation of colour way only, specification subject to change at any time. Bicycles do not come with pedals unless otherwise specified.